[lit-ideas] "Mad dogs and Englishmen"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:04:00 EDT

R. Paul writes:

>>After his 1977 arrest, Berkowitz told police he was  following the demonic
>>orders of his neighbor's  dog.

Geary comments:

>I once had a dog like that, only he was an Evangelical Christian.   He kept
>telling me to send money.  I would throw his ball out into  the street.  It
>took five years but he finally got run over.   It was very sad.

Having just returned from a brief voyage to the Tropics, I was thinking of
Noel Coward's famous line, "Mad dogs and Englishmen" -- "go out in the midday
sun", and was thinking whether the phrase can be -- or has been -- possibly
understood as "Mad dogs and Mad Englishmen"? I mean: the options are  obviously

   mad (dogs and Englishmen)
   (mad dogs) and Englishmen

I suppose he _must_ have meant (i), and wonder where he got that particular
inspiration for that phrase -- The Far East?

Cheers,

J. L.