[lit-ideas] Mackie: Inventing Right, Inventing Wrong

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 09:44:17 EDT

In a message dated 4/1/2011 10:15:23 A.M., donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

Sadly,  Mackie died in 1981 so isn't around to retort."

It is unclear to me why  "All moral props are false" is, or ought to be, a
moral proposition rather  than just a claim pertaining to moral claims.

Even if it were, Mackie  would surely not have been so obviously logically
self-defeating in  formulating his stance?

----

Grice was fascinated by New-Zealand-born philosopher, J. L. Mackie. He
(Grice) dedicated the first Paul Carus lecture (on the conception of value, now
 a book) to Mackie, "Inventing right and wrong".

-----

"While I can see a point in inventing _right_," Geary assesses, "the point
of inventing _wrong_ remains to be demonstrated (by argument)."

Cheers,

JL