[lit-ideas] Re: Lures

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 21:03:25 -0400

In a message dated 10/9/2015 8:35:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx writes:
And my own novels: "The Allure of the Lure" and "The Lure of the Allure"

Indeed. I cherish the commentary by the reviewer to "The lure of the
allure". As I recall: "Geary is playing with his earlier novel, "The allure of
the lure". "The lure of the allure" inverts the scenario, as the thing
becomes a thriller. Geary has confessed the need for the change of scenario.
In a
recent interview, he expressed: "Originally, the lure is a bunch of
feathers on a long cord, from which the hawk is fed during its training." "It
is
to this original etymon that I want the reader the focus in my novel --
hardly a prequel to "The lure of the allure". "It just pissed me off, if I may
be vulgar, that 'lure' ceased to be used just in falconry but applied to
the commoner sport of fishing, where, if you are careful it should be used
to any means of "alluring" other animals -- especially fish. As my father
told me, technically, "bait" is something the animal can EAT, while "lure" is
a more general term which I thought would naturally appeal (or should I
say 'lure'?) the general reader."

Cheers,

Speranza