[lit-ideas] Lost in Translation

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:13:50 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I just heard a brief story on NPR that said that apparently Russia is
condemning Iran for its nuclear weapons ambitions and stopping work on the
plant they're building for them.  However, I had read a couple of headline
stories on BBCRussian.com about a week ago that the reason they're quarreling
is over payment.  The Russians haven't been paid since January and refused to
do anymore work on the plant they're building for them until they get paid.
Then I heard on a BBCRussian.com news/variety audio show that the NYT had
published the same thing, i.e., that the Russians are sanctioning the Iranians
over nuclear weapons.  The host of the show was confused since his
understanding was also that it's just a payment dispute, and he didn't
understand why the NYT was reporting it that way either.  On Mike Shuster's NPR
story the Russian representative denies that they're sanctioning Iran but
doesn't say it's over money.  This is so weird, that it's being reported this
way.  I can understand and expect the NYT to do that, but NPR?

This is the link from NPR if anyone is interested.  It's short:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9083525&ampsourceCode=RSS