[lit-ideas] Re: Long Live the Evolution

  • From: andy amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 21:51:47 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: May 4, 2004 6:17 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Long Live the Evolution

Andy Amago writes:

"Living in the new land as if it were the old *is* fantasizing about
returning to the old.  The problem is that living a fantasy keeps people
stuck."

Phil: Curious and so very 'You are either with us or against us'.  I suppos=
you think Chinese restaurants and cheering for Man. United are bad
things?

A.A.   No, of course not.  Without Chinese restaurants I'd starve to death.=
  Don't know what Man. United is. but it doesn't sound edible so I'll pass.

Andy continues:

"I wonder how many return and find the ideal they think they left."

Phil: Very few but that makes my point, not yours.  That is, one can't live=
 in
the new country as one did in the old so living in the new country
requires changes.  These changes often make it near impossible to
happily return to the old country.

A.A.  I completely agree.

Again, Andy:

"Your French are like our Texans.  A whole 'nother country, still
fighting the Alamo.  At least on the History Channel."

Phil: And again, your comments make my point.  Few Quebecois would think th=
at
they are returning to the ideals of France.  I am sure M. Chase can
better describe what the French think of the Quebecois.  This whole
'fantasizing about the old country' bit strikes me as being part and
parcel of the American homogenization of culture.  So we return to the
curious situation you find yourself in when you, at the same time, think
that differences are to be celebrated and rejected.  Or perhaps it is
that the differences ought to be Americanized like Taco Bell?  Either
way it seems like a shame because something important is being lost.

A.A.  I nearly fell off my chair laughing at my witticism and nobody got it=
.   (Get it?  The History Channel?  Fighting the Alamo on the History Chann=
el?  Oh what's the use.) =20

But seriously, I don't know why the Quebecois are so keen to have their own=
 state.  I'm also not so sure that homogenization is such a bad thing eithe=
r, and I rather endorse it.  In this case I agree with Mike, that sooner or=
 later, if not first generation then second or third generation, good 'ol M=
ejico will be forgotten and the refried beans will make way for Cheez Wiz a=
nd fluffernutter.  But how can it be otherwise since we never step into the=
 same river twice and so on.  Something important is in fact lost, but fort=
unately something important is also gained, and a good thing too because th=
e alternative is to find a way to stop time.  Since we can't do that, we in=
vented nostalgia.  The movie Ground Hog Day deals with being stuck in time =
and maybe being stuck in time is not such a good thing.  Isn't that really =
what Islamic fundamentalists do, or any fundamentalists for that matter, tr=
y not only to stop time but turn the clock back to some fantasied time from=
 the Middle Ages, in which BTW, one always stepped into the same river over=
 and over, because nothing ever changed.

It's been a long day.  I'm off to have some Nachos with salsa and watch the=
 History Channel.

Andy

Sincerely,

Phil Enns