[lit-ideas] Re: Long Live the Evolution

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 18:17:53 -0400

Andy Amago writes:

"Living in the new land as if it were the old *is* fantasizing about
returning to the old.  The problem is that living a fantasy keeps people
stuck."

Curious and so very 'You are either with us or against us'.  I suppose
you think Chinese restaurants and cheering for Man. United are bad
things?

Andy continues:

"I wonder how many return and find the ideal they think they left."

Very few but that makes my point, not yours.  That is, one can't live in
the new country as one did in the old so living in the new country
requires changes.  These changes often make it near impossible to
happily return to the old country.

Again, Andy:

"Your French are like our Texans.  A whole 'nother country, still
fighting the Alamo.  At least on the History Channel."

And again, your comments make my point.  Few Quebecois would think that
they are returning to the ideals of France.  I am sure M. Chase can
better describe what the French think of the Quebecois.  This whole
'fantasizing about the old country' bit strikes me as being part and
parcel of the American homogenization of culture.  So we return to the
curious situation you find yourself in when you, at the same time, think
that differences are to be celebrated and rejected.  Or perhaps it is
that the differences ought to be Americanized like Taco Bell?  Either
way it seems like a shame because something important is being lost.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON