[lit-ideas] Re: Londonistan (part one)

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:44:55 -0500

Simon: That's what hegemony means. Is the US complaining because it's top dog? How many times have I heard (not on Lit-Ideas) that the US has the biggest and best military in the world. If you want boasting rights fine, but there are responsibilities that go with it.

Eric: I think most US citizens would prefer military equivalence with a strong Europe if it meant better schools, roads, etc., than being a global gunslinger. Our oldest traditions are those of self-defense (with an "s"). Only later came the imperialist phase of booting out Spain and Spanish Mexico. Then back to self-defense until the two European World Wars.

Simon: Don't forget how many millions of Europeans died in both world wars. Europe, continental Europe especially, has an understadable phobia about militarisation and wars. Can you blame them?

Eric: Fine to have a phobia if it means not to return to fascism. Not fine to have a phobia if it means putting the military onus on an ally that is so widely resented.

.... As a united European entity, the EU should have military responsibilities on par with its GNP.

Simon: This is the nub I think. The EU has a policy on European defence. (spelt with a 'c'). It's military is measured for those purposes. The US has a military that is measured by the need to defend US interests. hese are two different concepts, the one being essentially geographic, the other being globally economic.

Eric: Yes, the *nub* and kernel. Europe can ONLY follow a policy of self-defense because the US protects European economic interests in the course of protecting its own. Were the US to suffer a sea change into something more populist and strange, stop protecting its economic interests, then Europe would HAVE to do so.

Simon: The US had a choice once the Cold War was over. It could have scaled down its military in keeping with the diminished threat from another superpower. However it chose not to, and since Bush came into power, it has increased spending on the military.

Eric: We did cut down a lot after Gulf War I. All kinds of hardware went into mothballs forever. Plus Clinton reduced a lot of the maintenance budget on the military hardware we had, making us look at lot more formidable on paper than in praxis. For example, we claimed to have X amount of M-1 tanks, but because of maintenance cuts, only X minus Y were actually usable, and the same thing applied across the military arsenal.