[lit-ideas] Re: Londonistan (part 2)

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:04:06 -0500

Eric: But the MAIN concern is that (because of your internal policies) Islamic terrorists will use Europe more and more as staging grounds for attacks on the US.

Simon: It's interesting that the blame is being passed across. As I remember it, European intelligence organisations gave the US countless warnings in the Summer before 9/11. . . . . Yes Europe has a Muslim population, yes there are a small minority of extremists amongst them, but there a lot more in Pakistan living under a military dictatorship that the US counts as an ally.

Eric: You misunderstand me. I'm not talking blame to you, I'm talking about perceived threat. First, remember that "Londonistan" is a name given by the French counterterrorist people, not by the Yanks. The sheer numbers (and until recently) the relatively little cross-border oversight of the Muslim diaspora combined with poor national assimilation strategies created a potential, ongoing security problem. I'm sure you will agree that our shared concern should be on fixing problems (if they are indeed problems) rather than on assigning blame.

Most of the US counterterror online poobahs, print pundits, opinion toffs, and televised goliards view Europe as the locus of future attacks on the US. Large unassimilated populations to hide extremists, easy access to US via customs and jet...mostly our worry of course, but you did have your tube terror.