[lit-ideas] Re: Londonistan

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:07:05 -0800

How long ago were you there, Andreas?  Things have changed.  How are the
Muslims going to take over?  That information is pretty well known.  I
quoted from Bawer to this effect.  Here it is again from an article by Dr.
Sookhdeo: http://whataretheysaying.powerblogs.com/posts/1142024149.shtml

Perhaps especially, "For the past two weeks, Patrick Sookhdeo has been
canvassing the opinions of Muslim clerics in Britain on the row over the
cartoons featuring images of Mohammed that were first published in Denmark
and then reprinted in several other European countries.

"They think they have won the debate," he says with a sigh. "They believe
that the British Government has capitulated to them, because it feared the
consequences if it did not.

"The cartoons, you see, have not been published in this country, and the
Government has been very critical of those countries in which they were
published. To many of the Islamic clerics, that's a clear victory.

"It's confirmation of what they believe to be a familiar pattern: if
spokesmen for British Muslims threaten what they call 'adverse consequences'
- violence to the rest of us - then the British Government will cave in. I
think it is a very dangerous precedent."

Dr Sookhdeo adds that he believes that "in a decade, you will see parts of
English cities which are controlled by Muslim clerics and which follow, not
the common law, but aspects of Muslim sharia law.

"It is already starting to happen - and unless the Government changes the
way it treats the so-called leaders of the Islamic community, it will
continue."

And again, ". . . concentrate Muslim presence in a particular area until you
are a majority in that area, so that the institutions of the local community
come to reflect Islamic structures. The education system will be Islamic,
the shops will serve only halal food, there will be no advertisements
showing naked or semi-naked women, and so on."

"That plan, says Dr Sookhdeo, is being followed in Britain. "That is why you
are seeing areas which are now almost totally Muslim. The next step will be
pushing the Government to recognise sharia law for Muslim communities -
which will be backed up by the claim that it is "racist" or "Islamophobic"
or "violating the rights of Muslims" to deny them sharia law.

"There's already a Sharia Law Council for the UK. The Government has already
started making concessions: it has changed the law so that there are
sharia-compliant mortgages and sharia pensions.

"Some Muslims are now pressing to be allowed four wives: they say it is part
of their religion. They claim that not being allowed four wives is a denial
of their religious liberty. There are Muslim men in Britain who marry and
divorce three women, then marry a fourth time - and stay married, in sharia
law, to all four.

"The more fundamentalist clerics think that it is only a matter of time
before they will persuade the Government to concede on the issue of sharia
law. Given the Government's record of capitulating, you can see why they
believe that."

Lawrence