[lit-ideas] Re: Logical Corpuscularism

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 10:57:30 -0400

If Boyle were a logical corpuscularist, he would say that the comma is a
logical corpuscule.

Thus, the Stanford entry for "logical constant" has:

a is red
--- therefore Ra

A,B,water is H2O
-- therefore A∗B

and editorialises: "The strictest criterion would allow only rules in which
every sign, besides a single instance of the constant being characterized,
is either structural (like the comma) or schematic (like "A")."

i.e. the comma is a structural logical constant.

In a message dated 9/5/2015 10:15:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx quotes from Dickinson.

When I, am long ago,
An Island in dishonored Grass –
Whom none but Daisies, know –

and comments (with which comment I agree):

"I like the lines “When I, am long ago” (although I don’t understand the
comma) and “Whom none but Daisies, know –“ (and don’t understand the comma
in this line either)."

This reminded me of Martin Gardner's "Annotated Alice" (Penguin) where he
quotes from a philosopher who attempts to provide the logical form of an
utterance by the White Knight (and fails).

Like Helm, I don't understand the commas. Let's rephrase:

i. When, long ago, I was an island in dishonoured grass whom none but
daisies know, I was happy.

Instead, Dickinson utters:

"When I, am long ago, an island in dishonoured grass, whom none but
daisies, know.

This seems to prove the Stanford entry that the comma is a logical
constant, and Dickinson varies it!

Cheers,

Speranza