[lit-ideas] Re: Little old ladies and the Last Man

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:33:34 -0300

Lawrence Helm wrote:

"You keep concerning yourself with the motivation of the criminals."

Nope.  I am concerned with the proper assessment of the situation.  I don't
care why they are doing it.  If one is going to put people's lives at risk
by shooting a gun, then one better have good reasons.  And "they shouldn't
dismiss her as an inept little old lady" doesn't even come close to being a
good reason.  The issue is not one of feeling sorry for the criminals or the
victim, but rather the conditions under which deadly force is justifiable.

And on your bizarre tangent, I don't know about Fukuyama, but you certainly
have Nietzsche's 'Last Man' wrong.  Ironically wrong, in fact, but that
would be another post.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns