[lit-ideas] Re: "Literally"

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:37:04 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sep 4, 2004 11:51 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] "Literally"

In a message dated 9/3/2004 4:08:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, pas@xxxxxxxx
writes:
There is  no sense anymore. [parse away]

A "couple" has lost its numerical value.  People use "literally" to mean
figuratively -- "Oh man, it was so funny, I  literally shit my pants". It's
all mixed up.

A.A. Annoying to me is the threat of extinction of the word "few", to be
replaced with "less".  The "12 items or less" line at the supermarket; less
calories; less carbs and on and on.  Fewer is heard increasing less, on its way
to the etymological scrap heap.  I also have yet to meet the person who is
going to lie down; they all lay down.  Joke: How do you know you're in
Cambridge, Massachusetts?  Answer: Because the supermarket checkout line says
"12 items or fewer".

Andy