[lit-ideas] Lit-Ideas Yes, again...

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:41:00 EDT

>>Marlena,
>>Your posts have suddenly begun to look like  this. Are you doing something
different?

>>Robert

>>RGVhciBKdWR5IChhbmQgYWxsKSwgCgo8d3J5IGxvb2s

Hi,
NO NO...I really meant them to say:

ZSBzZW50IG91dCBvZiBoZXIgZmluYW5j

Actually, I have NO idea what happened.  I do hope THIS one goes  through...

Happy Friday to all,
Marlena in Missouri

Dear Judy (and all),

<wry look>
>>(I also sent out  the list of the board of directors of the
>>Eac Heinz Corp, a bio of  Teresa Heinz Kerry, and a press >>release sent
out of her financial status  which was made >>available in May 2004.)

>You're persecuting  these people! -- and why not?..

Well, the outcome (thus far) has been a  few very very angry telephone calls
and a very very upset few emails.   (and, of course, it upset me that they got
upset...all I did was respond to what  was sent to ME <wry look>)

All of which has not assisted in  tempering my temper. <wry look>  They send
me similar stuff all the  time and it always makes me a bit cross but usually
I just ignore it.

I have very very carefully NOT sent them items which *I* felt were  important
(and validated <sigh>) or which made a point and, yet, were a  bit tongue in
cheek (and which were actually *true* and could be validated  [point by point
if necessary with sources].

But, of course, no apologies  for any of what was sent me--or even a "I'm so
sorry--In the future I will not  send you such things."....which is what *I*
would have done had I sent them  something that tipped them over the edge/or
that they completely had issues  with--whether in content or in manner
(okay...True Confession:  I just  did <wry look>) send them the "resume" that
Steve's
wife sent to him  (and which I received from two other sources--so it is
definitely making the  rounds <g>...BUT I did add that I tended NOT to forward
them such  things as that but thought that now I would...or at least would let
them know  what they have been spared <g>...though I did point out that all on
the  resume was *true* albeit sometimes skewed by a differing perspective...)

The most positive piece came from one who said I should just vote for  a
third candidate and simply NOT for the "Hanoi Jane" that Kerry  is...<sigh> as
he
made so many lives of Vietnam veets so awful by his  protesting...

OUTCOME OF GWB's Visit to LEE'S SUMMIT, MO

I  think I said that GWB came to LS (my suburb).  He appeared at one of  the
high schools during school hours.

The Campaign People required that  NO opposition attire be worn during his
visit and that teh visit had to be  during school hours.  (They also lined up
semi-trucks to block the 300  protestors from being seen from the road, but I
suppose they had police approval  for that...and that is a separate issue...)
He also refused to allow  question-answers from the students--it was, totally,
a campaign speech and NOT a  presidental visit (though he IS a sitting
president...)  He paid the school  about $12,800 in order to appear...I guess
that
went towards getting the school  'ready' for his visit, though.  (actually, it
MIGHT have <wry look>  as we here in LS are kind of like that...)

Almost immediately after the  visit, though, about 200 people signed a
petition that said they were upset that  a non-partisan place such as a school
would
be used for a campaign site.   (I would have too had I known about it <g>)  A
number of them  went to the school board meeting last week.

The school and school board  each gave a response that it was an honor to
have a sitting president come speak  and that it was a very good/healthy
educational experience for the students, and  that they might have handled it
differently had they had more time/notice.  (excuse me...?? Who did WHO the
favour??)

Still...the outcome of the  meeting was that the LS Schools superintendent
DID say that 'if John Kerry  wanted to come to Lee's Summit, he would be
welcome
at one of the school  facilities'.'

(By-passing, of course, that the main point was that it ought to have been
set up that way in the first place, that there ought to have been 'free-speech'
 in terms of attire, that if it was going to be the 'educational experience'
that  the school was theoretically offering, then by inviting BOTH Candidates
(or not  letting one do so unless the other did--or had turned it down) and
allowing for  a question-answer format, that it was not proper to use such a
facility for such  an action, etc. etc., and it COULD have been created in such
way that it would  then have been a *real* educational experience--could have
pulled in the Kids  Voting people [they are 'big' in LS] and really talked
about the process of  democracy...)

I don't know how one goes about inviting John  Kerry to come to LS, though.
I do seem more signs around town,  though.  And LOTS of people are still
talking about this ...and kind of  cranky. (jnot cross, yet.  Just cranky.
There IS
a difference, I  believe...)

Anyway, it did prompt me to do what I had been planning on  doing (but had
not gotten around to...)   The Kerry Campaign person I  talked to (She's kind
of
clueless in some arenas, though--though I'm sure  she's probably smart--)
said  she didn't think they wanted to get  involved...though initially they
were
not even aware of this whole controversy  (though they WERE aware that GWB had
gone to LS and that the semis had blocked  the protestors...)

So, she was not much help in figuring out how to even extend an
invitation...hope one of the other LS peole has a connection  elsewhere...  Of
course, she
didn't know where LS was [it's one of the  bigger KC suburbs, actually, but I
suspect that was because she was from the  City <wry look> which ignores the
suburbs...or has been in Jeff City as  she has been working 'with Claire
McCaskill--who was MO State Auditor and is now  the Dem candidate for governor]

(I have major issues with people who  take on metro-wide projects and who do
not actually bother to get to know the  areas in which one is supposed to deal
with...<sigh> But, I know that is  all about my Steps of Growth and accepting
people as they are.  I do  wonder, though, at how the people running the Bush
campaign seem to be SO much  better/well-organized (is it because they can
afford to pay??--the latest ad is  with a guy who is [supposedly] a fire
fighter
from Boston whose taxes have been  raised by Kerry and his liberal buddies in
Washington and blah blah.  But,  the accent is good [probably an actor, right?
or am I cynical?? no...one of  Ben's friends has a parent who does such
commercials...<sigh>]   but maybe I am just too organized in terms of
cooperative
stuff...or to  used to leaving the castle and exploring the village and the
lands surrounding  it...)

Nevertheless, the personal outcome for me (maybe the whole school  thing and
way it was handled is why the email from my family member affected me  as it
did...) was that my son (age 12) and I are now signed up to go volunteer  at
the Kerry-Edwards campaign headquarters in the KC area.   (We  wanted to
immediately get signs but they were out. AAACK.  More  organization...MOST
people
from MY area will NOT venture forth into the area  where the campaign HQ is
located....<sigh>   Since they cost $3  a piece, I will go ahead and get about
10
as I don't want to ask people to a)  drive to that area (it just won't
happen--I've seen it a million times---no  matter HOW strongly they feel about
something. Safety trumps all, you  know...<sigh>  [good thing we aren't
fighting the
American Revolution  TODAY!!  <wry look>)  But, there is a guy, they said, who
 is going to try to get a place in Independence to use as an 'Eastern Jackson
 County' HQ.   (would be a smart idea--I was given his phone  number.  They
did NOT take MINE to give to him.  In organizational  tactics...that is simply
horrific.  <sigh>  Dang. I'm not a  political organizer, but I do know how to
organize things...and I do know  people.  If I had not gotten cross, *I* would
just be disgusted and try to  pretend that it would not matter who became
president OR that it would not  matter if I got involved or not.  I guess we
can
thank that email AND the  visit of GWB who ought not have been allowed in the
school...).

Ben is going to man the phonebank for two hours. (They had a girl about  his
size--though she was 10 and he is 12--doing that and he noticed that right
away and went to ask someone on his own if he could do that, too.  Of  course,
the boy can talk.  [I think Julie's daughter can too--too bad she  doesn't live
here--there would be this little trio of upset little guys who are  kind of
worried about how the world is going to be left to them...and oh, my.  You
should see a couple of the letters to the editor of this small local  paper--)

 Apparently, they have a list of 'undecided' voters and are calling or
canvasing them. (I would, actually, prefer the canvassing as I have to be in
the
right 'mood' to talk on the phone [and then, try to keep me quiet  <sigh>)
They asked if I would have a party and let them invite the  undecided voters.
Oh, I can have a party <g>.  Especially  if *I* get to talk...<g> Bet you never
would have guessed from the way I  write, would you? <wry look>]  (wonder why
I have been SO SO careful  to NOT send things to my relatives?  I do know how
I can be...)

I  did find out that Clay County (north of the River <g>) was won by Gore by
only ONE vote.  It and one of the other counties have grown  significantly
(we had a meeting here in LibraryLand on Monday where we found out  that our
two
northern counties have grown each by approximately 5-8% just in the  past
year.   SO, it is going to be interesting to see what happens Up  North of the
River (as we say here...<g>)  The 'good' is that one of  the couples whose
wedding I attended (yep, gay, even though they get no  benefits--it was a very
sweet ceremony) now live there and so does one of the  most undecided couples
that
you would ever meet.  And, I think they will  end up voting for Kerry...

Thanks for the assistance in some of this--I  will probably forward your
post, John, as soon as I figure out how to do so  <g>..(NOT that they will read
it...but I guess one never knows...and, who  knows...they might forward it to
someone with a 'can you believe what she sent  to me' and might make the same
mistake they did in regard to me...

Obviously, .I think I'm still cross and the mad-at-me phone calls have not
alleviated or made me feel bad at all--for I have yet to hear an apology from
them...and the fairness piece in me plus the issue of needing people to check
their facts  <sigh> still thinks they opened up the door...so I just  walked
in...but maybe that is not nice.  (and goodness. I do want to be  NICE!)

Likeability factor and all...

Hoping Kerry's people find a cute accent to use in a commercial,
Marlena in Missouri