[lit-ideas] Re: Lit-Ideas Taking a chance

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 19:31:36 EST

If you went to the link when it was posted by Ursula, you got Michael
Moore's first entry on that site, saying "My First thoughts after the election"
 (or
something similar) followed by a listing of every name of every dead
American soldier from Iraq and pictures of their faces.  Apparently Michael  is
updating his site frequently, something like a blog.  I have posted a  link to
Riverbend's website several times because each time there's something  new on
it I
want to share with people.  Marlena's link was not a  duplication of material.

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Lit-Ideas Taking
a chance  Date: 11/6/04 6:09:07 PM Central Standard Time  From: _gd2@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:gd2@xxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A link to the exact same content found below was  posted to this list on Thu,
04 Nov 2004 at 17:34:39 (about 48 hours ago) by  Ursula Stange
<Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx> under the subject-line "the faces of  the fallen..." --
Maybe some folks out there in cyberspace are always so busy  writing more
posts that they don't have time to read or retain the content  that others
post to their target list(s).

In RL (it does exist!  mirabile dictu) the rules of thumb for deciding
whether or not to publish  something include, among others: (1) it hasn't
already been said and isn't  already widely known, (2) it is worth saying and
worth asking many other  people to read, and (3) one is able and willing to
say it with maximal  concision. Those are good rules of thumb for the
internet, too.

Greg  Downing

(http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm)  > ), and don't  approve of the
>job George W. Bush is doing (52%
>_p://www.realclearpolitics.com/Presidential_04/bush_ja.html_
>(http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Presidential_04/bush_ja.html)  >  ).
>(Note to foreigners: Don't try to figure this one  out.  It's an  American
>thing, like Pop  Tarts.)
>
>5. The Republicans will not have a  filibuster-proof  60-seat majority in
the
>Senate. If the Democrats do their job,   Bush won't be able to pack the
Supreme
>Court with right-wing ideologues.  Did I  say "if the Democrats do their
job?"
>Um, maybe better to  scratch this  one.
>
>6. Michigan voted for Kerry! So did the  entire Northeast, the  birthplace
of
>our democracy. So did 6 of the  8 Great Lakes States. And the whole  West
>Coast! Plus Hawaii. Ok,  that's a start. We've got most of the  fresh water,
all of
>Broadway, and Mt. St. Helens. We can dehydrate them or  bury them  in lava.
And
>no more show tunes!
>
>7. Once again we are  reminded  that the buckeye is a nut, and not just any
>old nut -- a  poisonous nut. A great  nation was felled by a poisonous nut.
>May  Ohio State pay dearly this Saturday  when it faces  Michigan.
>
>8. 88% of Bush's support came from white voters.   In 50 years, America will
>no longer have a white majority. Hey, 50 years  isn't  such a long time!  If
>you're ten years old and reading  this, your golden  years will be truly
golden
>and you will be well  cared for in your old  age.
>
>9. Gays, thanks to the ballot  measures passed on Tuesday, cannot  get
married
>in 11 new states.  Thank God. Just think of all those wedding  gifts we won
't
>have to  buy now.
>
>10. Five more African Americans were  elected as  members of Congress,
>including the return of Cynthia McKinney of   Georgia. It's always good to
have more
>blacks in there fighting for  us and doing  the job our candidates can't.
>
>11. The CEO of  Coors was defeated for  Senate in Colorado. Drink up!
>
>12.  Admit it: We like the Bush twins and we  don't want them to go  away.
>
>13. At the state legislative level, Democrats  picked  up a net of at least
3
>chambers in Tuesday's elections. Of the 98   partisan-controlled state
>legislative chambers (house/assembly and  senate),  Democrats went into  the
2004
>elections in  control of 44 chambers,  Republicans controlled 53 chambers,
and 1
>chamber was tied. After Tuesday,  Democrats now control 47  chambers,
Republicans
>control 49 chambers, 1 chamber is  tied  and 1 chamber (Montana House) is
still
>undecided.
>
>14.  Bush is now a  lame duck president. He will have no greater moment than

>the one he's having  this week. It's all downhill for him from here  on out
--
>and, more  significantly, he's just not going to want to  do all the hard
work
>that will be  expected of him. It'll be like  everyone's last month in 12th
>grade -- you've  already made it, so  it's party time! Perhaps he'll treat
the
>next four years  like a  permanent Friday, spending even more time at the
>ranch or in   Kennebunkport. And why shouldn't he? He's already proved his
point,
>avenged his  father and kicked our ass.
>
>15. Should  Bush decide to show up to work and  take this country down a
very
>dark road, it is also just as likely that  either of the following  two
>scenarios will happen: a) Now that he doesn't ever  need to  pander to the
Christian
>conservatives again to get elected, someone  may  whisper in his ear that he
>should spend these last four years  building "a  legacy" so that
>history will render a kinder verdict on  him and thus he will  not push for
>too aggressive a right-wing  agenda; or b) He will become so  cocky and
arrogant
>-- and thus,  reckless -- that he will commit a blunder of  such major
>proportions that even his own party will have to remove him from   office.
>
>16. There are nearly 300 million Americans -- 200 million  of them  of
voting
>age. We only lost by three and a half  million! That's not a  landslide --
it
>means we're almost there.  Imagine losing by 20 million. If you  had 58
yards
>to go before you  reached the goal line and then you barreled down  55 of
those
>yards, would you stop on the three yard line, pick up the ball
>and go home crying -- especially when you get to start the next down  on
the
>three yard line? Of course not! Buck up! Have hope!  More sports  analogies
>are coming!!!
>
>17. Finally and  most importantly, over 55 million  Americans voted for the
>candidate dubbed "The #1 Liberal in the Senate." That's  more than  the
total
>number of voters who voted for either Reagan, Bush I,   Clinton or Gore.
Again,
>more people voted for Kerry than Reagan. If the  media  are looking for a
trend
>it should be this -- that so many  Americans were, for  the first time since
>Kennedy, willing to vote  for an out-and-out liberal. The  country has
always been
>filled  with evangelicals -- that is not news. What IS  news is that so many

>people have shifted toward a Massachusetts liberal. In  fact,  that's BIG
news.
>Which means, don't expect the mainstream media, the  ones  who brought you
the
>Iraq War, to ever report the real truth  about November 2,  2004. In fact,
it's
>better that they don't.  We'll need the element  of  surprise in 2008.
>
>Feeling  better? I hope so. As my friend Mort wrote me  yesterday, "My
>Romanian grandfather used to say to me, 'Remember, Morton, this  is  such a
wonderful
>country  -- it doesn't even need a   president!'"
>
>But it needs us. Rest up, I'll write you again   tomorrow.
>
>Yours,
>
>Michael  Moore
>_MMFlint@xxxxxxxx
>(http://us.f519.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=MMFlint@xxxxxxx&YY=82792&order