[lit-ideas] Re: Lit-Ideas Taking a chance

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:12:17 -0800

Do you think mentioning Athens and Sparta makes the usual topics
> into a philosophical discussion?

ck: Yes, for my premise concerned the philosophies and values of those two
ancient cultures, with parallels to the current schism in our own culture,
as illustrated by two consecutive elections. This way of thinking is why we
bother to study philosophy as well as history. Thucydides may not have much
to say to us today, but is it true that similar cultural wars have not
occurred in the past? Of course. I was suggesting we approach our
partisanship from another direction.
Carol