[lit-ideas] Re: Listed Buildings

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:02:45 -0700

On Apr 28, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:
 It is also a Grade I listed building.

I decided I wanted to know how many grades of listed building there actually are. The answer is "two...sort of." There's grade one and grade two...and then Category A, B and C, courtesy of German bombing damage and the "Town and Country Planning Act of 1947," modifying the "Ancient Monuments Act of 1882."

In Italy listed buildings are called "vincoli"...so you can't get a pun out of the leaning tower of Pisa.

Now you know.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
settling in