[lit-ideas] List stuff: Post length advice

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

Freelists server has a limit on maximum message size,
the documentation is somewhat lacking and I don't know
exactly what it is nor whether it is lines or bytes,
but it is big enough for any reasonable post. However,
particularly long quote trails sometimes exceed it.
What happens in that case is that the message is sent
to me or Andreas for approval, which means that it
will take some time for it to appear in the list. We
don't editorialize, but quite frankly I always feel
like sending the post back to the sender for some
light common sense editing when one appears.

So here is one more reason to edit your posts. As a
rough rule of thumb you can reasonably expect people
to read about one printed page (~300 words) all though
some threads may require longer posts. Even if you are
quoting heavily, I see little reason for more than few
pages in total.

As a technical note, plain text is preferable to HTML
mail.

And another thing: The correct posting procedure is
read, think, write, read what you wrote, edit, post.
And not read, write, post, read what you wrote, think,
curse like I do.

Cheers,
Teemu
co-janitor