[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:36:42 +0000 (GMT)

--- Cassidy Dann <cassidy_dann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

CD> > > That's because Europe by and large simply
> doesn't
> > > get the
> > > diversity/integration equation and we are
> streets
> > > ahead of them on it. We
> > > just can't believe, nor can we accept, by and
> large,
> > > the sheer blinkeredness
> > > of what seems to be the mainstream European
> > > reaction.

JE> >I don't quite understand this point:  the "free
> >speech" defence of publishing the cartoons is in
> fact
> >a very US one.
>
> Yes, indeed. But (as we have heard in the clamor of
> this debate ad nauseum)
> something that is a right is not therefore an
> obligation.

Yes indeed.  (And I regret the wording of my reply to
Andreas, particularly as I hadn't checked the UK
papers.)

My sense is that
> most of us in the US are clearer (and more
> confident) over this distinction
> because of our searing hands-on experience in
> grappling with the dilemmas of
> inter-cultural co-existence.

To be honst, that is not my sense (and I know a lot of
US First Amendment "fundamentalists").  But as I say
that I realise you may be right, and that may be why
we (=Europe) have introduced hate speech laws of
various kinds.

> (I should also clarify that I am not, in this early
> evening mood of sweeping
> generalization, including Britain in my definition
> of Europe. The UK is
> closer to us than to the rest of Europe on this
> issue, in my view.)

We do tend to be between the US and "Europe".  But I
remain unhappy about your notion that "Europe"
"doesn't get" integration: the matter is more complex
than that.

Judy Evans, Cardiff