[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:10:10 -0800

You got me Andreas.  I should have said the Jews have lived in Palestine
since the Exodus.  The Muslims if you are interested didn't get there until
around the 7th century A.D., I've got the date somewhere if anyone is
interesting.

There are different theories about the date of the Exodus, but if memory
serves me they range from 1200 BC to 1500 BC.  Thus, the Jews lived in the
area for approximately two millennia before the Muslims got there.  The
Muslims conquered them but didn't drive them out of the land.  Thus, their
presence in the land is approaching a continuous four millennia.

If my ancestors lived in an area for 3+ millennia and some conquerors who
conquered us but lost power over the region about the time of the First
World War now wanted us out, I'd say "you conquered us 1400 years ago, but
you became weak and we took control of our land again.  You have fought
against us several times since then and lost.  Why do you cry?  Why do you
who once conquered us think we should voluntarily leave our homeland?  You
were the ones who brought the sword to our land.  Don't whine when it turns
out we are better at sword play than you are."

That's what I'd say if I were a Jew.  But my daughter the genealogist has
traced back our ancestry quite a long way and has found narry a Jew.  She
did find that our name was once Helme and got us back into pre-Norman
England, but no Jews.

I admire the Jews because they are willing to fight for their land.  They
don't whimper, they don't whine and they are damned fine warriors.  You've
got to love them . . . well, some of us do.

Lawrence Helm, former Sgt, USMC