[lit-ideas] Re: Linguistic Botany

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 15:09:15 +0200

The appeal to common usage really seems to be some linguistic version of
argumentum ad populum (common usage = common opinion) and as such it is
probably irrelevant philosophically even when the premises are true. Still,
one cannot always permit the 'ordinary language philosophers' to make the
common usage mean whatever they want it to mean. When Tom says that he saw
a table, he does not thereby mean to subscribe to 'the causality theory of
perception.'

O.K.

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am unable to understand this fetish of “usage”. If there were any
basis to it, when I worry about Omar, for goodness’ sake

I have three worries, Omar, sake and goodness…

And you expect anyone to take this excrement seriously/?