[lit-ideas] Re: Lines that Bangbang may not have written

  • From: epostboxx@xxxxxxxx
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 10:15:59 +0100

On 15 Dec 2015, at 18:47, david ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Some of you may have fantasies of moving to California. “Not to Bel Air” is
my advice. This morning’s "New York Times" has a long article about a fight
in that locale, a fight among mansion owners and builders. I can’t be
bothered with the details. Know though that your surname will probably
suffice to keep you out of the neighborhood. (That and not having umpteen
million dollars.) Here are the names of those involved: Mohamed Hadid, Kola
Aluko, Lola Karimova-Tillyaeva, Gilbert Chagoury and—my favorite—Bangbang
Trihatmodjo. All millionaires. Who says the melting pot doesn’t work?

Interesting story, especially the bit where "the neighbors tend to frame their
cause as a campaign against the forces of greed.”

(Imagine being the owner of a modest multi-million-dollar property, and having
some ‘greedy’ person having the nerve to erect something worth 10 times as much
directly overlooking your estate.)

For those who do want to bother with the details, the story — with photos and
videos can be found here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/us/shell-company-bel-air-mansion.html?_r=0

Chris Bruce,
directly overlooking nothing more than
the ‘3-storey’ slide-playhouse construction
in the playground across the street, in