[lit-ideas] Re: Life or death

  • From: "Carol Kirschenbaum" <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 12:29:01 -0700

Judy commented:
"The difference is that people (here, too) don't put off seeing a doctor for
fear of medical costs."

ck: Yes. And if people need treatment, they get it. Here, doctors won't see
you unless you have health insurance or pay in advance. Seriously. Without
health insurance: If they find a possible cancer and recommend a biopsy, you
either cough up the bucks ($20,000, say) or you don't have the procedure.
People often bankrupt themselves and their families for healthcare.
Increasingly, though, people decide not to go beyond the initial suspicion
that they're ill, for fear of bankrupting, or financially burdening, their
family for a long, long time. The stress of living with a "possible" cancer
is phenomenal. I know many people who decide to go away, literally, like
sick dogs.

Contrast this with the image--and the frequent reality--of American
healthcare. I am sure that the vast majority of well-off people in the US
have no clue. None

Carol
.