[lit-ideas] Re: Life leads to death

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 18:21:08 -0700

I wrote

So, we judge retrospectively, but we do not call the dead
happy; we say that their lives were or were not happy, and
as Wittgenstein says, death is not an event in life; we do
not live to experience death.

Donal commented

Maybe. But this is an interestg view of W's apercu: I had his thought was more general: for one, we do live to experience death (not it's after-affects, obv.). He didn't say "Being dead is not an event in life". He was talking about the metapys. of experience and what can or cannot be said about them.

It's true he didn't say, 'Being dead is not an event in life..' He said [Tractatus 4.311]

   Death is not an event in life; we do not live to experience death.
If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration, but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present.
   Our life has no end in just the way in which our visual field has
no limits.

Nowhere do I find any mention of 'the metaphysics of experience.' but I'll keep looking.

Robert Paul