[lit-ideas] Re: Life begins with a handshake

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 22:17:10 -0700

'I forgot my gloves,' said the fireman on the ladder to the woman in the window reaching out to him.

'That's all right,' she said, 'I'm on the pill.'

Robert Paul

Because the availability of gloves leads people to feel it is all right
to "hold hands".  And these people don't want other people to think it's
all right to hold hands at all because they don't want to have to take
care of what might result if hands were held without gloves. So they
take away gloves from the people most likely to hold hands so they won't
feel all right about holding hands, even though they'll hold hands
anyway.  For some people, just the existence of gloves upsets them.   I
trust that cleared everything up for you.