[lit-ideas] Re: Life Magazine: The London Quarter

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:37:05 -0230

Dear friends, colleagues and adversaries (in C. Mouffe's sense of the last, of
course. I've learned so much from conferencing around the globe!),

Thanks to all who offered me suggestions as to where I should go while in the
UK. My favourite establishment recommended turned out to be the Turf Tavern on
Holywell, just down the street from the front gates of New College. (I was
quartered, but not drawn, in the tower overlooking those very front gates. I
suppose because that's where they lodge all Canadians with pony-tails. Shirley
Rapunzel being from Sudbury Ontario.)

RP recommended this very historic establishment to me and I'm very glad he did.
Of course I had been patronizing this establishment, and hitting my head on its
very low ceilings, since the early 90s on previous trips to this conference but
it was good nevertheless to share a bit of vicarious community with RP and a
bit of the supernatural with Gilbert all the same. I spent many happy
philosophizing hours with colleagues and students under its roof, and out on the
deck at back. I did not, alas, get to meet Gilbert Ryle. I don't know if he
continues to frequent his old haunts. Perhaps if RP has recently heard from
Gilbert, he can tell us if we may expect his presence at the Tavern at some
future time. (Surely he would prefer Brown's up on Banbury Rd.)

No, Ursula, I did not get to go inside The Eagle and Child. Even though I stood
right in front of its doors. There was simply too much going on at the corner
of Woodstock and St. Giles that evening. I decided to go off instead with a
Polish student of Habermas's and Scanlon's from Warsaw U. who spoke fluent
Russian and had an incredibly generous per diem from the department at Oxford
that invited her over for a series of lectures. And I'm glad I did since, in
return for editing her 3 lectures for grammar, logic, spelling, style,
punctuation and tone that evening (and night), I received, despite my
vociferous protestations, a bottle of Glengoyne (17 yr. old!) .... and a free
haircut. Pony-tail remains, natuerlich. (Academics in Poland are renowned for
their versatility.)

Because of prior commitments, I could not seek out and savour the other
establishments suggested by others on this list. Next time, perhaps. Thank you,
all the same.

For those of you who are heading out to London, allow me to reciprocate this
list's generosity by recommending the following:

If you appreciate chow mein with black bean sauce, head to China House on
Marchmont Road near International Hall (U of L). This in the neighbourhood of
Bloomsbury. Fantastic! (And if you dare to tread the streets of Leicester Sq.,
get in touch and I'll divulge secrets beyond the limits of  pre- and
conventional imagination.)

If you love Oban ...  you're in trouble in London. However, your faithful London
correspondent has discovered that the *Lord John Russell* at the end of
Marchmont St. (near the newly constructed Brunswick mall across from the
Institute of Education, Russell Square) has cases and cases of the stuff.
Reasonably priced too. Enjoy!

Walter C. Okshevsky
Direktor,
A. J. Ayer Emotivist Bus Tours Inc.
Soho, London
United Kingdom of Ends

P.S. So what kinds of wishes and gifts will we be extending and bestowing on RP
this coming May? Not quite sure of the actual date; CSIS sources were
unfortunately vague on that matter. One doesn't reach the grand old age of 63
more than once in a lifetime, to be sure. I'd send him a bottle of the good
stuff, but I'm not apprised of his preferences and predilections regarding The
Elixir of Life.