[lit-ideas] Re: Let me incentivize you

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 05:36:24 -0500

Okay, JL -- here's a challenge for you.

I have recently heard a particular usage which to my ears is akin to the
scratching of nails on a chalkboard.  Specifically, "ironical", "poetical".
Several more, but I can't bring any others to my brain's surface at the
moment.

My way of thinking is thus:

Logic -- logical
Theology -- theological
Practice -- practical
Conceive -- conceivable
Contempt -- contemptable
Irony -- ironic
Poem -- Poetic  (poetry is somewhat problematic in terms of this structure)
etc.

Then of course there are the adverbs -- logically, theologically,
practically, conceivably, ironically, poetically.

i.e., nouns become adjective often by adding the "al" or "ic" suffix.  (Add
to that the "able" suffix -- as in "comfort/comfortable).

So what is "ironical" -- an adjective modifying the adjective "ironic"?

I at first thought this a gross linguistic faux pas made by contemporary
citizens.

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon the same usage in a book written nearly a
century ago.  So apparently it is not a new verbal construction.

Is there a difference between ironic and ironical?  poetic and poetical?

I'd love to see someone diagram the sentence: "The verse was so poetic that
she felt it was quite poetical".