[lit-ideas] Re: Legal Reasoning

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:47:07 +0000 (GMT)

>The terms 'realism' and 'conventionalism' have been used variously. I
don't. I see PLATONISM as a realist philosophy of mathematics. On the other
hand, Ayer's isn't. In "Language, Truth, and Logic", he does regard things  like

2 + 2 = 4

as analytic a priori -- contra Kant who saw it as synthetic a priori.
McEvoy constantly mentions the greatness of Popper as 'the best' after Kant,
and
this may invite as to what Popper thought of the 'synthetic a priori'.
Ayer  thought it null. >

Yes, there are different versions of 'realism' and 'conventionlism' and some
are perhaps not that far apart: for example, there is a Wittgensteinian version
of 'conventionalism' that is perhaps not very far way from a Popperian version
of 'realism' (for Popper's version of 'realism' acknowledges there are many
'conventionalist' elements in knowledge): a main difference is perhaps highly
abstract - that Popper would say our knowledge may correspond in a realist or
truth-like way to reality as reality is 'in itself' (though this correspondence
can never be known or justified, but can only be meta-guessed as part of
'metaphysical realism'), whereas Wittgenstein might view this kind of claim as
going beyond anything we can sensibly say or show.

The Popperian view of "2 + 2 = 4", its epistemic status, of course raises
important issues (as does any philosophical view of it), as important as the
Popperian view of "e = mc2". And while Popper's views on science are thought to
be well-known, there are important aspects of his view of "e = mc2" that are
not well-known - it is well-known that Popper takes "e = mc2" to be falsifiable
but it is not well-known how Popper locates "e = mc2" within a framework of
'metaphysical realism'. It is well-known that Popper is a non- even
anti-inductivist, but it is not well-known how 'metaphysical realism' is a
crucial part of his alternative.

While such a discussion might seem a digression in terms of "legal reasoning",
not only is it important in itself but I think it is a discussion that might
prepare the way to discussing "legal reasoning".

But that's perhaps for other posts. Here I'd like to end with a 'realist'-type
challenge to anyone, like JLS, who seems to think the two analyses posted of
Pilcher do not obviously raise questions of fact with right or wrong answers.

Pilcher is either a case based on "constitutional law" or it is not. The tutor
claims it is (his claim based, I suggest, on mistaking the court's conclusion
that it lacks jurisdiction for the basis of its decision). I claim it is not
(and my posts contain many arguments in support). Can JLS explain how both
claims can be true? And can JLS, or anyone, explain how the tutor is right by
specifying what it is in "constitutional law" that determines the Pilcher
result? Bear in mind, lawyers do not get results by making claims about the
"law" as an unspecified generality but only by specifiying the "law" they rely
on. So: specify. If you cannot, then by any fair standard (which may not be the
standard of the dogmatic or the philosopher), you have failed in your claim.
And your failure is fairly clear-cut, just as you would understand your
lawyer's failure as fairly clear-cut if they claimed to a court "We rely on the
law here and ask the court to..." and the
 court interjected "What law, specifically?" and the lawyer said "None
specifically - just the law."

Dnl
Ldn

On Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 15:36, "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx"
<Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

My last post today, but I thought of bringing in the sophists in. I'm not
sure how much deals with them in accounts of legal reasoning, but they
should  figure large. This statement at the end of the passage quoted below
from
the  Wikipedia entry for "Sophist" should be clear enough:

"In addition, Sophists had great impact on the early development of law, as
the sophists were the first lawyers in the world. Their status as lawyers
was a  result of their extremely developed argumentation skills. -- vide:
Martin,  Richard. "Seven Sages as Performers of Wisdom." Cultural Poetics in
Archaic  Greece. New York: Oxford, 1988. 108–130."

And of course, if there is a thing as philosophical approach to legal
reasoning, the root of it must be found in the philosophers's interactions with

the sophists.

Oddly, I also read, in Rome, the sophist's role was minimised:

"They orated over topics like poetry and public speaking. They did not
teach debate or anything that had to do with politics because rhetoric was
restrained due to the empirical government’s rules -- vide: McKay, Brett
(2010).  Classical Rhetoric 101: A Brief History)".

Which is a bit ambiguous in that, strictly, the origin of philosophy in
Rome can be traced to a famous episode where a group of Greek philosophers
argued one day _for_ justice and the next day _against_ it, which the Romans
found 'ambiguous'.

Cheers,

Speranza

Fom Wikipedia:

"The first sophists prepared Athenian males for public life in the polis by
teaching them how to debate through the art of rhetoric. The art of
persuasion  was the most important thing to have a successful life in the fifth
century  Athens social commonplace when rhetoric was in its most important
stage. The  sophists' rhetorical techniques were extremely useful for any young
nobleman  looking for public office. The societal roles the Sophists filled
had important  ramifications for the Athenian political system at large.
The historical context  provides evidence for their considerable influence, as
Athens became more and  more democratic during the period in which the
Sophists were most  active."
"Athens was a flourishing democracy before the Sophists started  their
teachings there. The Sophists certainly were not directly responsible for
Athenian democracy, but their cultural and psychological contributions played
an
important role in its growth. They contributed to the new democracy in part
by  espousing expertise in public deliberation, since this was the
foundation of  decision-making, which allowed and perhaps required a tolerance
of
the beliefs  of others. This liberal attitude would naturally have
precipitated into the  Athenian assembly as Sophists acquired increasingly
high-powered
clients."
"Continuous rhetorical training gave the citizens of Athens "the ability to
create accounts of communal possibilities through persuasive speech". This
was  extremely important for the democracy, as it gave disparate and
sometimes  superficially unattractive views a chance to be heard in the
Athenian
assembly.