[lit-ideas] Re: Leftists who favored flag burning oppose Koran burning

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:13:30 -0500

LAWRENCE: "I find Leftists that supported the burning of the flag back in
1989 -- to the extent that they brought it before the Supreme Court and got
approval for their actions -- are on the other side at present. Once they
favored burning American Flags. Now they oppose the burning of Korans."

MOI:  As I stated in my earlier post, this is nonsense.   Lib-Left opposes
burning the Korans because it accomplishes nothing but provoking a people
who believe we want to destroy their religion and culture.  But no one -- NO
ONE --says he doesn't have the right.

LAWRENCE: "I'll grant that Jones wasn't interested in bringing a suit before
the Supreme Court, but he did want the Mosque moved and initially thought
that might happen as a result of his threat."

MOI:  Why would he bring suit?  No one challenged his Constitutional right
to burn the Koran.

LAWRENCE: "But then he was "censored." How was he censored if there was no
law in the U.S. against burning Korans? The President, Attorney General and
the FBI brought pressure upon him."

MOI:  Censored??????  This unintelligent man out of nowhere, preacher of 30
communicants, had more publicity than God Almighty for two weeks.  Get a
grip, Lawrence, the man wasn't censored, he was asked, he was pleaded with
not to do it.  He was told in no uncertain terms that burning the Koran he
was harming the interests of this country and its military, but no one said
you can't do this.

LAWRENCE: "No, Terry Jones isn't going to bring a law suit to permit him to
burn Korans. He already has that right, at least in theory, but he is caving
in to pressure."

MOI: You're right, he already has that right.  I'm glad he caving into
pressure.

LAWRENCE: "I am already disgusted with the Executive branch of government
caving in to the bullying of Islamist thugs."

MOI:  It seems a bit off the mark to accuse a president who's raining drones
on bad guys in Pakistan, Somalia, Afghanistan and Yemen, not to mention the
50,000(?) U.S. troops in Afghanistan and those still in Iraq as "advisers"
of "caving in to the bullying of Islamist thugs.".  If that's caving in, I
pray for total collapse.  Where's Gerald Ford when you need him?  Send in
the helicopters, now, get those people out of there today.

LAWRENCE: "Heck, to be honest, if the FBI showed up at my door and said the
Attorney General asked them to question me about certain anti-Islamist
statements I had made on my blog to see if there wasn't any way I'd be
willing to delete them...."

MOI:  Relax, Lawrence, I'm sure you're still under the radar of the 16 main
agencies of the US Intelligence Community, even though there are 1,271
government organizations and 1,931 private companies in 10,000 locations in
the United States that are working on counterterorrism, homeland security
and intelligence, and that the intelligence community as a whole includes
854,000 people who hold top-secret
clearances.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Intelligence_Community
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Intelligence_Community#cite_note-1>
I doubt they're worried about you or even me.  But if they do come
a-knocking, call me.  I have friends in high places.  I'm sure they can
negotiate some deal where you don't have to cave in to US Intelligence
thugs.

Mike Geary
Memphis