[lit-ideas] Re: Leftism and Islamism

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:42:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I did say in one of my notes yesterday that I saw no
> reason to develop the
> entire history of Leftism.  What we have at hand is
> an Islamist position,
> that of Hizbollah, Syria, etc arguing that Hizbollah
> is right and Israel is
> wrong.  Omar argued to a similar end.  Others on
> Lit-Ideas agreed with him.
> Omar agrees with Hizbollah.  Leftists on Lit-Ideas
> agree with Omar in his
> agreement with Hizbollah.  Omar disagrees with
> Israel.  Leftists on
> Lit-Ideas agree with Omar in his disagreement with
> Israel.  I didn't feel
> that I was making a terribly risky statement to
> observe that there was
> Lit-ideas Leftist support for Islamist ideas
> associated with the current
> Israel/Hizbollah war.

*I would appreciate it if you would not attribute to
me views I have not expressed, particularly not in
order to use that in debates with third parties. I
didn't say that "I agree with Hezbollah." I disagree
with quite a few of their statements and actions.
Also, it's not correct to say that I "disagree with
Israel" because there are many Israelis who hold views
quite similar to mine. Most of my views on the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict were formed while I was
living in Israel. Further, while I consider myself an
Islamist, I certainly don't agree with all of the
ideas expressed by Islamists or attributed to them. I
also identify with liberalism and leftism and that may
be one of the reasons that the others here who are
liberals or leftists share some (though not all) of my
views. To use this as grounds to claim: "Lit-ideas
Leftist support for Islamist ideas associated with the
current Israel/Hizbollah war" may not be too risky but
is certainly unfair. Finally, I find a discussion
which has no objective other than putting proper (or,
in this case, improper) tags on people rather tedious
and pointless.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com