[lit-ideas] Left Behind

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:43:05 -0700

Calling all xian evangelicals, x-monitors and Bushword-watchers. You know
the admin's educational initiative is called No Child Left Behind. I always
thought the program's title referred to not letting a child repeat a grade.

But this week I came across the phenomenon of the _Left Behind_ book series
(for all who don't know about this, I'll bet Marlena can fill us in), and
was most chilled to learn that in this pop-apocalyptic Christian megaselling
franchise is the idea that "no child will be left behind" when the Rapture
comes--they'll all be expedited to heaven. (In film versions of the book
series, the phrase "no child left behind" is used verbatim.)

Since the _Left Behind_ volumes were first printed more than 10 years ago,
it occurred to me that Bush & Co named the educational initiative for this
prophesied Rapture phenomenon, which is more than a little alarming.

Does anyone know whether this is the case? Know whether it's been discussed?
Best,
Carol K.