[lit-ideas] Re: Leavis on "Great" poetry

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 23:33:02 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 9/18/2013 12:30:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes about 'great'.

 I am unhappy with Leavis’ use of the term “great.”  It doesn’t  seem to
fit the most noted and celebrated poets of the past.  Is Dryden a  “great”
poet?

Yes. I agree that people should stop using, so liberally, words which have
almost vacuous meanings -- when a standard of measure is lacking -- such as
 'great', 'big' or 'small' for that matter.

Grice plays with the implicatures of

"Heidegger is the greatest living philosopher"

in his "Logic and Conversation".

Personally, I'm a fan of musical settings to English poetry, A. E. Housman
being on the top of my list. And I think it was H. P. Gosse who said that
Housman was a "minor poet" -- Gosse in fact wrote a 'defense' of Housman as
a  minor poet. Implicature: there's something very big about being a 'minor'
 poet.

So there!

But then, I guess Leavis would think that "The Minor Tradition" would
hardly sell -- in Cambridge, if not with Oxford's Blackwell!

Cheers,

Speranza

ps. My favourite setter of Housman seems to be Peele, but there's of course
 Butterworth and HUNDRED others... Peele was especially multifacetic and
labeled  a 'light musician', for what it's worth ("British light music").

-----

Some collocations: "Housman minor"

A Shropshire Lad, AE Housman - eNotes.com
_www.enotes.com/topics/shropshire-lad/.../shropshire-lad-e-housman‎_
(http://www.enotes.com/topics/shropshire-lad/.../shropshire-lad-e-housman‎)
Critics generally agree that what makes Housman a minor poet is his limited
 range in tone, theme, and subject matter and his uninventive use of
traditional  verse ...
Full text of "Theme and structure in Housman's A Shropshire lad"

archive.org/stream/.../themestructurein00leggrich_djvu.txt‎
'^'Alfred Edward Housman" in The Poet's Defence . .... R. P. Blackmur
concurs that Housman was not a great minor poet," for In his view of life and
death "he ...

A. E. Housman - Wikiquote
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/A._E._Housman‎
A. E. Housman ... 2 Quotes about  A.E. Housman; 3 Attributed; 4 External
links ..... so on, but and absolutely  marvellous minor poet, I think, and a
great scholar.

The Poetry of A. E. Housman | Novelguide
_www.novelguide.com_ (http://www.novelguide.com)  ›  Literature‎

Housman believed that people were generally evil, and that life conspired
against ... Housman is considered a minor poet, primarily because of his use
of  rhyme ...