[lit-ideas] Re: Lawyer Creates Infinite Circular Argument

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 07:29:18 -0500

Donal McEvoy wrote:

. . . .

suing yourself, and only yourself, seems generally not
worthwhile since all your costs, damages etc would be paid by yourself even
if you win: and there is in general no obligation to sue oneself for harm we
have done ourselves, nevermind harm we have done to other people. What may
happen is that a person acting in one capacity takes part in proceedings
against or involving themselves in another capacity - they may even be
obliged to do so.

Let's not forget another EXCELLENT reason for suing "yourself:" PUBLICITY and therefore MORE MONEY.

We just saw an example of something very close to "suing yourself" in the news recently, where Dan Brown and
his publisher were sued by another author (and his publisher) for plagairism. The fact that both publishers were
one and the same had NO bearing on the case; the point was to increase sales for BOTH books, which it did, so
whether the publisher lost or won, the publisher got more money!

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA