[lit-ideas] Re: Laugh Tracks

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:40:58 -0230

Quoting Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> RP:
> > On a more serious note, if people 'literally' can't be trusted (the
> > deceitful buggers) to recognize humor without the prompting of a laugh
> > track, why should they ever laugh at movies, plays, or books?
>
> Excellent question, Professor Paul. Why indeed should they laugh?   Ms
> Andy's assertion that people laugh only in response to laughter is not borne
> out by the recent research (soon to be published by Phoenix University
> Press) by my colleague,  graduate assistant George-Ludovico Hoffnung and I
> which proves, definitively, we believe, that while, indeed no one ever
> laughs without provocation, that said provocation can vary greatly.

WO: There's something interesting about the idea of "proving" that laughter is
always the effect of provocation. I'm thinking that a more cogent
interpretation of the utterance would view it as a principle or article of
faith posited by a scientific research programme, rather than a proposition or
hypothesis amenable to empirical proof, confirmation, falsification, etc.. For
how could it possibly be amenable to falsification?

And don't say "Ralph just now burst into uncontrollable laughter, and there was
nothing to provoke it whatsoever."

Not easily provoked,

Walter O.

So the