[lit-ideas] Re: Latin help please

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:16:20 -0800

Hristos Voskrese, voistsino voskrese; kalinka kalinka kalinka moya.

> Not a clue what it means.  First word "christ" maybe?

This is what the chorus sings in that wildly popular Russian folk tune, 'kalinka, malinka,' which accompanies a dance I've seen Walter perform many times. Actually the chorus doesn't really sing all of it: 'hristos' means 'chorus.' and indicates who sings what.

Lyrics and translation at

http://www.moscow-russia-insiders-guide.com/kalinka-malinka.html#lyrics

If Walter had a better explanation, I would be faint with anticipation.

Robert Paul