[lit-ideas] Re: Last Sunday

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:32:33 -0700

We drove north, to the B.C. Highland Games,
the daughters and I,
up past the Peace Arch and turn right,
to British Columbia, Canada...
where they had the voting, eh?

On the Friday, at Coquitlam's best Mediterranean grill,
we ordered Puget Sound mussels,
and bowls of curried Thai noodles,
and pints of "English" ale.
The food was good, but we did look up and down,
round and about,
seeking maybe Cretan divers on plastic ledges,
who never showed.

We found all sorts of "Scots" at the games,
dancing the Blue Bonnets, the Laddie, the Fling,
throwing great poles and stones about,
tintamarring the grounds,
finely tuning reeds and drones.
There were stalls selling China-made replica swords,
authentic wooly clan ties,
spiff mohair throws, said to honour Princess Di.
There were men in Hibs shirts, touting pewter.
There was pipe banding and bonding.
There was tea,
and pies,
and bridies.
People applauded everything: massed bands,
visitors,
weans,
cup winners,
a mighty effort,
brave failure,
all with dirge-torn eyes.
Silvery-Tay-like waters fell from the nearby mountains,
and the two-star toilets' taps.

On the Sunday we met up with Straker and Savory,
both handsome and wise,
near Adoni really,
with brains like Pluto--
the planet--
and charm to match.
We toasted you, of course,
ate great chocolate cake,
talked, naturally, of old times at our virtual coalface,
let the hot chips lie,
and so we went finally into the night,
headed severally for peace.

David Ritchie