[lit-ideas] Language Myths

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:21:24 EDT

R. Paul, referring to J. Evans' consideration writes:

>You may be thinking of the myth that in Appalachia  'they speak like
Shakespeare,' which I heard presented not as >myth but  fact many years ago.

This incidentally refers to the prejudice  Wittgenstein identified regarding
the French language in _Philosophical  Investigations_ we were discussing
earlier on.

In the co-edited volume, _Language myths_,  (Trudgill/Bauer) the essay on

       "French is a logical language"

               is by Anthony Lodge,

and

       "In the Appalachians they speak like  Shakespeare"

                            is  by Michael Montgomery.

An excellent volume on the whole.

R. Paul refers to the fact/myth distinction. Montgomery's point, in the
later pages of his essay, is that if is a fact that there is an, erm, urban
myth
about Shakespearean Appalachian, then that very myth may be self-redeeming
(or provide its own justification for deeming what is a myth as a  fact).

The logic of _deeming_ is still largely unexplored, but I'm always reminded
of Grice's anecdote that one Oxford college refused to accept a given dog in
the  premises (on account of a rule that deemed dogs out). As a result of the
meeting  of the College, however, it was _deemed_ that the dog *was* a cat.

Ditto for French being _deemed_ a logical language.

Or Appalachian Shakespearen

Cheers,

     JL
        author of "The Great Redeemer  and Other Crucifixion Stories"

JL