[lit-ideas] Re: Language, Justice and Social Practices (long)

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:44:39 -0700

Phil Enns wrote:

Walter Okshevsky wrote:

"I would think that without some name, we would not be able to mark the
conceptual differentiations necessary for the identification and
understanding of any single concept."

Eric Yost replies, describing the concept of a pawn in chess and then
concludes:

"...one could still learn this concept of 'pawn' without having the name
'pawn'."

The marked names in the above quote from Eric mean different things so I am not entirely clear as to the point Eric is making. Certainly there is no reason why the letters p,a,w,n combined in that order to form a name need be the name of the concept identified with the name 'pawn'. In fact, it seems perfectly reasonable to think that the piece in chess with the name 'pawn' might have different names in different languages. It seems to me, and here I don't want to presume on Walter's own response, that Walter has something different in mind.

This makes rather heavy going out of what is, whether correct or not,
a simple point: One could still have the concept _pawn_ without having any name for the chess piece called in English 'pawn,' (and in other languages, something else, 'Bauer,' e.g.). I might teach someone 'this piece moves in such and such ways, etc.' without giving the piece in question any name at all.

A small matter meant to support Eric's point, and to be pasted into what I've been saying in response to Walter.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute