[lit-ideas] Re: Language, Justice and Social Practices (long)

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:20:44 +0100 (BST)

 If there are rules of projection that lead
> unambiguously from moves and situations to yelling and stamping, what
> they do would not be what one might mistake for a Kant seminar, but a
> game of chess. If one can get from 'ordinary chess' to yelling and
> stamping, then the converse should be true.

Yes. This is perhaps because we are here referring to a 'logical
correspondence' (in terms of 'rules of projection') that must be
bi-directional/two-way rather than only uni-directional/one-way.

>Would we though say that
> this was an odd way to _play_ chess or an odd form _of_ chess?

We could say it was either; and we could also say, or insist by definition,
that the yelling and stamping was not chess because, for example, it is
constitutive of playing chess that we move pieces on a board. Here we see an
issue that is really semantic and on which nothing of substance matters.

Donal
Sure this is not the last word on this subject
Engerland