[lit-ideas] Re: Language, Justice and Social Practices (long)

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:58:19 -0500

Walter Okshevsky wrote:

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Eric Yost wrote:

<>Walter wrote: I'm happy to refer to the "concept" of a chess pawn,
rook, etc., in answer to Eric's question. But I don't think one can
learn to play chess without learning the names of the pieces. The
name identifies the set of inferential relations given by the concept.

Doesn't the fact that computers play chess mean its possible to "learn" chess without any concepts or any names? (I know programs are written using shorthand compilers, but one might write the whole thing in MASM (assembly language) which doesn't use short-hand names for anything resembling a chess move. )

"Never attribute to malice that which can be
explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx
Forest Park, IL, USA