[lit-ideas] Re: L e Pesa nteu...

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:26:54 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/2004 2:29:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, goya@xxxxxxx
writes:
by what rights does *anybody* prescribe to us what reality is?
_____
Prescribed attitudes about reality are often hidden in our language choices,
even when we are advancing a nondirective position.

For example, as Lakoff points out, we assert that TIME IS SOMETHING MOVING
TOWARD US when we make statements like:

Five O'clock is approaching.
Thursday passed without a bombing.

Or we imply that FORM IS MOTION when we use expression like:

The Tower in Pisa leans.
The road bends.

Our conceptual metaphors lead us to prescribe notions of reality, by right of
being speakers of a language. Granted, such a prescription is not as specific
as saying Schroedinger's Cat is or isn't dead--but it is more pervasive.

Regards to all,
Eric