[lit-ideas] Re: Kyphoplasty?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:08:12 EST

If the diagnosis is so uncertain, why is  kyphoplasty the answer?
The most recent diagnosis was herniated discs.  A friend who works in  the
Medical Library dept. of a hospital (see my original post) told me that she
understood (as a result of research she had done for Dr's) that kyphoplasty was

a recent treatment for hearniated discs.  I don't know that that's "the
answer".  I was trying to find out more about the relationship between the
possible diagnosis and the treatment, as googling wasn't netting much of
anything.
I am grateful for the response I've gotten from this  "community".  I do think
of it as a community, by now.  Thank  you.

Julie Krueger
casting nets anywhere I can think of

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Kyphoplasty?
Date: 2/13/05 6:46:29 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) , _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Sent on:

Friday, February 11, 2005, 6:43:50 PM,  JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

Jac> I know there are a number of various  types of medical Doctors or people
 with
Jac> relatives who are MD's  on this list.  I have a question for any of you
that
Jac> might  be able to steer me in the right direction.  In addition to
having
Jac> recurrent colon cancer and all the attendant joys of  chemo-therapy, my
Mother,
Jac> who is 63, had had excruciating back  pain for months.  First they  were
Jac> concerned that it was  cancer moving into her bones.  CT scans cleared
that one  up.
Jac> Then they told her she had severe osteo-arthritis.    Another physician
nixed
Jac> that diagnosis.  The most recent  diagnosis (how is  it possible for
something in
Jac> this day and age  of medicine to be so  undiagnosable??) is herniated
discs.
Jac> Of  course, they want to do  surgery.  She's absolutely terrified of  and
Jac> opposed to surgery, but is  desperate.  A friend who  works in a medical
records
Jac> dept. at a local  hospital told me  about a fairly recent procedure,
called
Jac> "kyphoplasty" in which   a glue-like cement-like substance is injected
into the places
Jac> beteen  the  discs.  A search on Google for "kyphoplasty herniated
discs"
Jac> turned up  nothing helpful.

A.A. If  the diagnosis is so uncertain, why is kyphoplasty the answer?  My
understanding of kyphoplasty is that it is for the osteoporotic fractures that
create the kyphosis, or hunch back, of osteoporosis.  It's still, I  believe,
relatively experimental.  Back pain is the #1 problem in the  U.S.  It costs
billions in medical care, much of it unsuccessful, as well  as lost
productivity.  Much back pain is, I hate to say it, psychosomatic  in origin.
Not all
of it, of course, but a huge amount of it.   Psychosomatic pain is real pain.
It just has no physical  cause.

Andy Amago

--

mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx