[lit-ideas] Re: Kyphoplasty?

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:26:06 +0000

Monday, February 14, 2005, 3:10:42 AM, Andy Amago wrote:

JE> The mind-body connection is also part of a complex feedback mechanism.
> Also while certainly stress can exacerbate my back pain - but not all stress
> does
> -- luckily for me, even ordinary X-rays now show a spinal abnormality,
> so I don't get fobbed off with "it's stress".  A *renowned*> orthopaedic
> surgeon did though say (at a prior stage, when ordinary
> X-rays showed nothing) that it was "psychological" (ignoring the case
> history) and that prevented my GP from referring me for physio.. When
> I moved cities, his opinion didn't matter; I do get physio now.

AA> A.A.  Physical therapy can provide relief regardless of the
AA> origin of the pain by stretching out the knotted muscles and
AA> strengthening them.

But physio alone may not be appropriate.

AA>  Since surgery is how surgeons make money, it
AA> sounds like you found a scrupulous doctor,

I saw him on the NHS; NHS surgeons don't make money by carrying out
operations. I was referred to him because according to the rules in
that part of the country then, a GP could not refer to a physio
directly (a good rule in theory, as it means -- in theory -- that
patients won't be referred to a physio before all necessary
investigations have been carried out and an expert diagnosis made). He
decided on the basis of an ordinary X-ray that nothing was wrong
(albeit the radiographer had apologised for my having to have the
x-ray before seeing him, as they often show nothing when there is in
fact a problem

AA> even if it cost you
AA> physical therapy.

and was a denial that there was any physical problem (my GP was
furious -- he'd examined my back when it was in spasm and knew the
case history -- all he could do was provide stronger painkillers; and
I continued to pay osteopaths.

AA>  "Stress" is now known to originate within, not
AA> without.

I'd like a reference to this really rather remarkable theory (I admit
I continue to find certain "stressful" events "stress" me).

AA>  I would say "anxiety", "anger", "frustration", that
AA> winds up in tense back or other muscle instead of "stress".

Ah. A Sarno disciple.  Stripped of its Freudianism, Sarno's approach
is helpful (if not new).  Unfortunately people too often ignore Sarno's caveats
i.e. that his methods should only be used when someone has been
diagnosed as having the precise condition his methods relate to, and
(therefore) when someone has no physical injury.

=AA>> y in fact was not performed.  Relaxation techniques are proven to reduce
ch=
AA>> ronic pain.  The University of Massachusetts Hospital has a whole
departmen=
AA>> t on this.  Newsweek ran a cover story on it not too long ago.  Old news,
a=
AA>> s I say, at least since the 80's.

AA> How do you define chronic pain? As "non-acute"? as "long-term"? or
AA> as pain whose known physical cause had been removed?

AA> A.A. How many ways are there to define chronic?

(chronic *pain*) Within the medical profession, at least three.

AA>  Ongoing
AA> intractable pain.  I don't know what you mean by "pain whose
AA> physical cause has been removed".  By definition, once a cause is
AA> removed, the pain should abate.

*should*.  "Chronic pain" is defined by some experts as pain that
persists after an injury has healed (they give time limits).
Research that may be a by-product of research into phantom
limb pain shows (and is still showing) conditions (such as a kind of
neurological mis-wiring) that produce pain whose original physical
cause has been eradicated.  "Knotted muscles"/"inner stress" are not
thought to be anything to do with this.

It will take me a little while to find references on this

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx