[lit-ideas] Kreiseliana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 21:49:26 -0500

In a message dated 3/1/2015 12:39:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Palma@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>Kreisel

Kreisel’s unwinding program was a reaction to Hilbert’s consistency
program. It aimed to substitute clear mathematical results for what were said
be vague, misplaced, crude foundational goals.

But Kreisel was, perhaps, also a winding proof Emerson's dictum  that
conversation without tropes is not permitted.

While teaching at the University of Reading, Kreisel would frequently  take
a train into London.

There was a particularly fast train that was timed just right for the shows
 in London, and he liked that.

One day Kreisel showed up at the station, at the usual time, and a  STOPPED
train *was* there.

He got into it.

However, he ended up being accosted by the train conductor *just after* he
had got on.

"The train doesn't stop here sir!", the train conductor's conversational
move was.

(The train, which came from Bristol, had only STOPPED at Reading to  get
water -- but the train conductor surely had more complicated jobs to hand to
provide an explicature to Kreisel).

"In that case I didn't get on here." was Kreisel's counter-move in the
conversational game, as he later reported it to his friend Irish Murdoch.

Murdoch found the whole episode amusing and exploiting the ambiguity of
"doesn't stop". Was the train conductor not being truthful, or was he being
merely sloppy?

With Emerson, one may take the train conductor as indulging in a  'trope':

i. The train from Bristol to London does not, as a rule stop at Reading. We
 are only getting water. This is not a stop stop.

However, that clear meaning is expressed by the appropraite trope,  coming
from a busy train conductor.

ii. The train doesn't stop here, sir!

Kreisel's response is similarly addressed to the trope, by involving a
logical contradiction -- which coming from a famous philosophical logician is
perhaps doubly irritating.

Had Kreisel's remark been addressed at what the train conductor  MEANT
(rather than 'explicated') a more polite reply would have been by way of  an
apology?

But then Irish would possibly have added, "We are not amused."

Cheers,

Speranza