[lit-ideas] Re: Kinds of autonomy (was Kant: Ethnic Pride, Black Truck Style)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:01:58 -0500

Torture Field writes:

Put more simply, it is because _fields_ are relatively autonomous that those in dominant positions may impose its necessity on the dominated. <<

What I deny is the very notion of "autonomy". It simply doesn't exist, hasn't ever, will never. That said, "autonomy" is an attractive idea. It's suggests an area of expertise. Like Air Conditioning. "What fools these laymen be," I says to myself many times a day -- except for this: they always knows when it ain't working. I can't convince them that it is working, no matter how many years I claims I been doing this work. So there seems to be somekind of commonsense autonomy at work here. But ain't that a contradiction? Expertise ain't common. I know zilch about economics -- micro or macro -- finances are physics to me. There are people who are experts at these things. But they don't thereby know what economic policies should be practiced for the commonweal -- what I means to say is that I know when it ain't working. So do all those for whom it ain't working. Expertise be damned. It ain't working, goddamnit, I don't know why, I just know it ain't working. You're the technician, make it work. And so it goes in every autonomous field, the only real experts are those outside the field. Ain't it so.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Torgeir Fjeld" <phatic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>