[lit-ideas] Re: Kilt/Trouser Studies (Was: Dress Studies)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:52:42 -0800

on 11/16/04 12:52 PM, Harold Hungerford at hh@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> There is a fascinating discussion of kilts and other artifacts in Hugh
> Trevor-Roper's "The Invention of Tradition: The Highland Tradition of
> Scotland, in Eric Hobsbawm and Terence Ranger, eds., *The Invention of
> Tradition*, Cambridge University Press, 1983, pages 15-41. The
> quick-and-dirty: "The creation of an independent Highland tradition,
> and the imposition of that new tradition, with its outward badges, on
> the whole Scottish nation, was the work of the later eighteenth and
> early nineteenth centuries" (p. 16). For lots more on Rawlinson, see
> pp. 21-22.
>
> Harold Hungerford

I have ordered a copy.  Websites refer to Rawlinson's charcoal making in
Lochaber, home of the Lochaber axe.  Maybe that's what he was about?

 Further reading has revealed that early plaids were a form of camouflage;
one covered oneself with a blanket in earth and heather tones, melted into
the scenery and lay in wait for unsuspecting passers by.

Another website explained that the English defended the proscription act
with assertions that trousers make people more industrious.  I wonder if
they had done double blind studies.

There was plenty of hunger, there were fords, why no Hungerfords?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon