[lit-ideas] Re: Kilt Studies (Was: Dress Studies)

  • From: Harold Hungerford <hh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:52:51 -0800

There is a fascinating discussion of kilts and other artifacts in Hugh
Trevor-Roper's "The Invention of Tradition: The Highland Tradition of
Scotland, in Eric Hobsbawm and Terence Ranger, eds., *The Invention of
Tradition*, Cambridge University Press, 1983, pages 15-41. The
quick-and-dirty: "The creation of an independent Highland tradition,
and the imposition of that new tradition, with its outward badges, on
the whole Scottish nation, was the work of the later eighteenth and
early nineteenth centuries" (p. 16). For lots more on Rawlinson, see
pp. 21-22.

Harold Hungerford
Santa Rosa, CA
(a quarter Scots despite the name)