[lit-ideas] Re: Kenshin fights with a sakabato...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 18:30:31 -0800

What you have here is a fictional character, fighting with a fictional sword. There is no such thing as a sakabato. I searched in my books--how old-fashioned--and was puzzled. Then I went to the web. Someone has imagined a Japanese sword with the inside, rather than the outside, of the curved blade made sharp. There are such swords in the world; there are also scythes.

You caused me to learn that saka-ashi is synonymous with yakiba, which is the word for the junction between the misty bit of a Japanese blade and the shiny bit. Some of the common patterns are:

sugu-straight
notare-wavy
gunome-regular scallops
nokogiri-saw-toothed
yahazu-like the nock of an arrow
hyotan-gourd-shaped
ashi-rat's leg
chojii-like cloves laid side by side

The text doesn't say what kind of rat or cloves.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon
On Nov 3, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Ursula Stange wrote:

One of my students, in citing one of his moral exemplars, mentions a fictional character named Kenshin who fights with a sakabato. I could google this, but I'm sure Mr. Ritchie will be much more fun.