[lit-ideas] Re: Ken Lay

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 17:27:43 EDT

Seatbelts are funny things.  I've always avoided wearing them like the
plague because I have this admittedly irrational fear of being trapped in a
burning or sinking in water car and not being able to get out.    However, from
the
time my children were out of their car seats I made it a  STRONG point to
seatbelt them before I started the engine.  It's been  thoroughly ingrained
into
them -- shut door, click belt.  For the first  time in her entire life, Bronwyn
(daughter, 14) was with me in the car and  forgot to fasten her seatbelt.  We
had a wreck -- a bad one.  Some  shmuck left rolls of carpet laying in the
highway lane, I swerved, but clipped  the corner of one with the tired,
propelled into the median, flipped the car on  its top and the car flew along
on the
roof 250 yards.  I broke 5 ribs and  had a neck brace.  When the car flipped,
the roof was crushed in on the  passenger's side, making the car look like a
triangle.  The police on the  scene and the paramedics told me if Bronnie had
had her seatbelt on the roof  would have crushed her head, broken her neck, and
killed her. Because she did  not have it on she was able to slide down onto
the floor.  I was happy to  pay the $10 fine for having a minor in the car
w/out
a seatbelt on.  I was  less happy that the DFS decided I needed to be
investigated for child  endangerment.

Julie Krueger
one never knows