[lit-ideas] Re: Ken Lay

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 13:48:05 -0400

O'me Gassidy deliberately, provocatively posted: Kenneth Lay just died of a heart attack. We all gotta go eventually, and he did know how to live. I wonder how many people will sing Ding dong the witch is dead for him? I wonder if he saw the Dick and Jane movie remake? I wonder if he cared how many heart attacks he caused?

To which I [perhaps predictably] responded: "I'm going to have certainly re-assess my agnostic position."

To which, Aunti Sagassidy rued: "Sorry to hear that he was your god."

To which, I once again tried to explain: "I meant, I may have to re-inquire as to the existence of 'a just god'.

To which, Ragging-on-me Andy self-righteously scolded: "A just god is still just a god. Why no inquiry when Joe Average lives a
horrendous life and/or dies a horrendous death? Just no money in it is just no fun. And no justice."

To which I now, somewhat verveless, respond: Is your first language Gibberish? The main reason -- other than the obvious one -- that I don't believe in any religion is that a "just god" wouldn't let those who you are always batting for, languish like they do. I was trying to be ironic by singing my version of "ding dong" by saying that I'd have to revisit this [non] belief because the traditional GOD has obviously done something right. Your killjoyishness is stultifying. I must add that Andreas and Julie have made me question my initial, gut reaction even further by postulating that perhaps a "just god" would make Ken lay for another 30 years before giving him a grabber.

Just, but not "just",
Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx