[lit-ideas] Re: Kempff and Completeness

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 22:14:55 +0200

On 29. Sep 2006, at 19:14, David Ritchie wrote:

On Sep 29, 2006, at 12:45 AM, Chris Bruce wrote:

Towards the end of the concert he grew too weak to play the last of the 14 Chopin waltzes. After leaving the stage for a brief respite, he returned to play a piano transcription of a Bach chorale (to which I am at this moment listening) - his last public performance.

Is this the disc?

Title :  Fourteen waltzes ; Barcarolle, op. 60 ; Nocturne, op. 27, no. 2 ; Mazurka, op. 50, no. 3 [sound recording (CD)]

... Lipatti, Dinu, 1917-1950. prf ...

Author : Chopin, Frédéric, 1810-1849.
Publisher, Date : Hayes, Middlesex, England : EMI, p1986.

No - that's a studio recording of the Chopin waltzes, etc. of which I've read praise but with which I have no direct experience.

You'll find some interesting notes about the final concert (including reference nos. for the CD) at:

http://www.classicalnotes.net/reviews/lipatti.html

I don't have the recital on CD, and my copy of the LP's (released in 1957 in a beautiful boxed set with booklet that was a wonderful memorial) resides with the rest of my record collection back in Canada (in the hands - or rather on the selves - of a friend). Someday I hope to reclaim them - and so I couldn't bring myself to buy the CD in its 'jewel case' which seemed a far inferior artefact (the notes at the site above comment further on this).

But do get the CD if you can't get a copy of the LP's.

The recording of the Bach chorale transcription I mention is on the disc devoted to Lipatti in the 20-CD set of 14 great pianists released by Suddeutsche Zeitung a couple of years ago. (There is also a disc devoted to Lipatti in the 20-CD set of 20 great pianists issued by Membran Music in 2005. These two sets also include discs devoted to Kempff's recordings, so I was able to appreciate at least some of the Beethoven sonata performances mentioned in David's initial posting in this thread.)

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany